*this review is not sponsored and features only my personal and honest opinion of the ukulele model reviewed.
The aNueNue Moonbird UT200 Tenor Ukulele, retailing at around USD$1,500, is a Tenor ukulele constructed of Spalted Maple and Indian Rosewood with an ebony fretboard and Moon Spruce top.
I received this ukulele recently in May 2020 as a prize for being awarded the overall winner and best instrumental player of the 8th Thailand International Ukulele Competition. I was sent an email from the organiser of the competition congratulating me on my win, and provided details on how the ukulele would be shipped to my doorstep. It took about 2 weeks for the ukulele to arrive, which was surprisingly fast considering the COVID-19 situation. I was impressed because it came in a large sturdy cardboard box and a beautiful case, fully protecting the ukulele. I remember being so excited as I was opening up the package.
How I Won This Ukulele 🤓
I won this ukulele by participating in the 8th Thailand International Ukulele Contest, which is held internationally online. I submitted one of my originals, “Stallion”, to the competition, not expecting anything out of it, since there were so many great players participating. I was pleasantly surprised when I was announced the overall winner and received many congratulating messages from my friends, family members, and all those who have been watching my videos. I am really grateful towards my followers, friends and family for being such a strong form of support towards me. Without them, I would not have won, and now own, this beautiful aNueNue Moonbird Tenor Ukulele.
Thank god I did not have to pay for another expensive ukulele. 😆 This ukulele is the 4th ukulele in my collection. The other ukuleles that I own are the Oscar Schmidt Concert Ukulele OU7, the Kamaka “100th Anniversary” Ukulele HF-3 D2I Slothead Deluxe Tenor, and the KoAloha Koa Tenor Ukulele (KTM-00).
What I believe the aNueNue Moonbird UT200 Tenor Ukulele Is Good For
This ukulele has a very bright and cheerful sound, so it suits pieces that have a more light-hearted and happy feel perfectly.
Songs I’ve Played Using This Ukulele
Since this ukulele is new, I haven’t uploaded many YouTube videos of me playing this ukulele. In fact, there is only 1 video online of me playing this ukulele. No worries though, there will be more videos of me playing this ukulele in the future and I’ll keep adding more videos to this blog post over time.
In the video below, you’ll be able to hear the sound of the ukulele and make your own judgement.
Let me know in the comments what you think about the sound quality of the aNueNue Moonbird UT200 Tenor Ukulele.
This ukulele has a very bright and cheerful sound, so it fits the light-hearted and happy feel of this piece perfectly, especially in the middle sections of the song. The rather loud projection of this instrument also helps to pronounce the melody of the piece with confidence and conviction, while highlighting the harmony simultaneously.
Summary of the Pros and Cons of the aNueNue Moonbird UT200 Tenor Ukulele
- Beautifully unique, overall look
- This ukulele has a very beautiful appearance, with crescent shaped figures on the fretboard, giving it a unique look.
- Crisp and bright, high quality sound
- The sound this ukulele produces is of very high quality. It has similar features to the Kamaka ukulele in terms of the crispness and brightness of the sound, making this ukulele suitable for songs with the melodies as the main factor of the piece.
- Amazing sound projection
- This ukulele’s wow factor is its sound projection. It produces a very loud overall sound as compared to other ukuleles when it is being played, and this makes the instrument suitable and capable of playing a wider range of dynamics than usual.
- Comfortable feel
- It feels comfortable to play this ukulele, as it has a manageable body and fretboard size.
- Not ideal for songs requiring a mellow and warm sound
- This ukulele is more accustomed to the treble section, thus, just like the Kamaka ukulele, it is unable to replicate the rich sound and bass of the KoAloha ukulele. This means that songs which require big and rich sounds are not recommended for this ukulele.
My Personal Recommendations
I would recommend this ukulele to…
- fingerstyle players who like to play upbeat and light-hearted tunes
- those who would like a unique, beautiful ukulele to add to their ukulele collections
- those who are looking for a more affordable version of the Kamaka Ukulele HF-3 D2I Slothead Deluxe Tenor or similar models as both ukuleles possess similar features such as the crispness and brightness of the sound produced
I would NOT recommend this ukulele to…
- players who enjoy playing sentimental songs which require full chords and rich sounds to invoke the emotions of the piece
Is the price (USD$1,500) worth it to me?
I think that the price of this ukulele is worth it, especially since it is one of the higher-end ukuleles in aNueNue. Its features, as discussed above, are also comparable to my more expensive Kamaka ukulele.
4.2 out of 5 Stars
This ukulele is a great and fun ukulele to play, with a beautiful appearance and a bright and happy sound. 👍
I am very grateful for all the support I receive.
To go ahead with a donation using PayPal, click the button below.
(*Because I am too young to own a bank account, the name shown will be my mom’s name. But no worries, it will show a picture of me!)